New English word? Translate any word using double click.
By Mubark Khanna
Travelling to new countries, meeting new people and learning about new cultures expands one’s outlook and mind. However, finding the right place to stay, that is secure and comfortable can be a challenge. The place you stay in will be your home for the duration of your vacation, and you want it to be almost as comfortable and secure as your own home. Let’s face it, there is crime everywhere we go and it is preferable not to end up being a crime statistic !
However, before you make your decision, make a final list of possible places of stay. Do a little scouting around in the Internet to find out what security measures they have in place .
The following points are guidelines that will help you know what to look for in terms of security arrangements :
• Ground floor rooms are easily accessible to criminals. Always choose a room that is on one of the higher floors. It is less tempting for a potential burglar as getting away from there is not as easy. A room anywhere between the third and fifth floors is ideal .
• Make sure the reception area is manned 24 hours a day
• Check to see if there are surveillance cameras on the premises
• Find out if there are security guards on the premises
• Ask for a direct number to the security centre in case of any emergency
• Check all the access points to your room to make sure they are secure. If you have a balcony, check for the distance between adjoining balconies to ensure that a prospective burglar cannot jump easily into yours .
• Keep your room securely shut at all times. Call the front desk to check if they have sent someone to your room if you are not expecting any room service. Criminals are known to represent themselves as hotel staff to gain access to a room. It is one of the important things to remember .
• It is a good idea to keep your valuables in the safe provided .
• Key in the direct line number to the front desk onto the speed dial of your cell phone .
These are just a few basics to keep in mind when you plan your vacation. Do a bit of homework and get hold of information about how secure your travel destination is – the town, the country and the location of your place of stay. Armed with this information, you can tailor your arrangements accordingly .
When travelling out of town on vacation or work, make sure your hotel room is secure. The hotel lock should be of a type that the press of a button ensures that no one can have key access to your room while you are inside .